The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon



                                             

If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.

Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.

It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.

And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.

And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story 


5 Great Stars


First of all, I need to say wow. That was an emotional roller coaster. You never knew what to expect. This book caused me so many emotions. I was happy, scared, devastated.I went in completely blind, avoiding all spoilers with passion. I'm glad that I did that, because if I had known about certain aspects (for example the genre, the ending etc.) I wouldn't have probably enjoyed it as much. I'll explain why, but I should probably hide it, because I don't want people to get spoiled. [I believe that the fact that the genre hadn't been known , was because the author wanted us to question everything. Is Moses crazy? What is really going on with his head? So, for me thinking that he was insane instead of the book being PNR worked in a good way.
When I read at the table of contents the Before & After, I immediately thought of Looking for Alaska and I thought.. "Oh crap.." Then I read the prologue and I was stunned.





If I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare. 

I remember that the moment I read the prologue, I was debating whether I was about to close it or continue reading. Because when you're prepared that you're going to go through heartache, what are you supposed to do? It's not easy. But I did it & I'm grateful that I read this book.This is the story of Moses, a baby born by a crack addict and expected by people to have various problems. Moses' mother had found dead, so he moved around family , until the age of 18 where he moved to his grandmother's house and became Georgia's neighbor. 

Georgia is a small town girl, born and raised around horses her entire life. She finds Moses fascinating and wants to approach him, to become his friend, since Moses had always been really closed to himself. 

The story was really beautiful, I was feeling anxious and nervous for a big amount of time. Truth be told, there were moments where I didn't feel the connection between the two characters, but I get it. Moses had his reasons to want to keep his distance from Georgia. 

There are A LOT going on & yes the religious element is quite strong in this book, but not in a bad way, IMO. Besides, you're about to read a book named The Law of Moses, duh! ;)

I don't want to spoil anything, so I'm going to add a few more comments (that you should read after you've read the book!) & I'll just say that it was a powerful story that had me sobbing & I love books who provoke these feelings to me. But don't let this get you scared. I believe you should really read this story ^^
I must admit that I saw it coming. When I first read about the kid in the pjs I suspected that it was his son. I suspected also who was behind the missing girls. I didn't suspect though that Moses could actually see dead people. I thought he was really watching hallunications. When I realized that this wasn't the case, I got excited! I didn't expect that and I liked that twist. I didn't expect that we would have a HAE and I was so worried. With that prologue and the scene of his fight close to the end, I was just certain that we would lose him. And then the scenes with Eli..It killed me, guys.


My 5 Greats: 
1.Family
2.Friends
3.Health
4.Movies
5.Books




Σχόλια

Δημοφιλείς αναρτήσεις